To celebrate this awesome-ness, the girls & I decided to do Olympic Themed dishes for our next blog post. Since the Olympics are in London this year, I decided to do something English-themed.
Now, the Brits aren't as appetizer crazy as we USA-ers are. So it was difficult finding an appetizer, but I found one!
Devils on Horseback
adapted from Martha Stewart's Recipe
I made 2 different kinds, half with cheese & half with almonds. Both turned out very tasty.
24 large pitted dates, left whole
12 slices of bacon, cut in half crosswise
For the stuffed cheese one:
Stilton cheese (it's like blue cheese), enough cheese to put a into 12 dates -- probably a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup
For the almond one:
12 dry roasted whole almonds (one almond per date, depends on how many almond versions you want to make)
1/4 cup reduced sodium or regular soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup brown sugar
1. Take a small bowl and put the toothpicks in it. Pour some water in it, enough to cover the toothpicks. Let them soak for 15 minutes. Try not to let them soak longer than that, or else they will become too soggy.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Take the dates & cut them in half, but not all the way through. I did this just by cutting one side of the date all the way through, but the other side was left intact.
4. Take 12 dates & stuff a bit of cheese into each date. Then, wrap a piece a bacon around each date & stick a toothpick through it. Put the dates on a prepared baking sheet. I covered mine with foil.
5. Take the other 12 dates & stuff them with one almond each. Wrap a piece of bacon around each date & stick a toothpick through it. This version has a bit of a marinade, which was very tasty.
6. Mix together the soy sauce and ground ginger. Put the brown sugar in another bowl. Dip each bundle into the soy sauce mixture, then into the brown sugar bowl. Put the dates onto the same baking sheet.
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, just until the bacon is crispy.
A really great appetizer for parties!
& Cassie has an awesome Olympic Themed Cake too.