Friday, July 13, 2012

late night baking. peanut butter bread.

When Rhiannon & Cassie suggested to make bread this week, I got real excited. I think the only bread I've ever made was a banana bread when I was in high school, but it's been so long since I've actually baked something!

As a poor grad student, I'm trying to not buy so much stuff, so I did my best to find a bread recipe in which I had all or most of the ingredients. I got lucky! Stumbled across this peanut butter bread recipe & I had EVERYTHING in my cupboards. :)

I know that it's more of a dessert bread, but whatever. It's my goal to make a bread with yeast in the future.

Ok. Get ready for this yummy-ness. (It's baking right now in the oven and smells delicious!)

Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread
adapted from Jenna & her blog eat, live, run

(Thank you for this awesome recipe, Jenna! Excited to eat & share this!)

Ingredients (only 7!):
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1.5 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder



How to:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a loaf pan (or whatever pan you have close to a loaf pan) well. Mine is a CorningWare pan!
Tip: I use Country Crock margarine, scoop some out with a folded paper towel, then spread it around the pan.
 (please excuse my recycling in the background)

2. Take out that standing mixer! Cream together the peanut butter & sugar until well combined. Put the setting on medium.


3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon. Set aside.
Tip: In baking, it is important to make sure the amounts of each item are as close to accurate as possible. I use a butter knife to level out my measuring cups or spoons. In this case, I also used it to stir my dry ingredients together, haha.


4. Put the mixer on low, then slowly add the milk & dry ingredients by alternating between the two. Mix until smooth.


5. Pour batter into the greased loaf pan & bake for 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minute. You may take it out and cool it on a wire rack. I don't own one of those, so I'll just cut into it after 10 minutes, haha.


YUM YUM!

Some suggestions to top your slice (or slices) with:
marshmallow fluff
nutella
peanut butter
margarine or butter
SLABS of dark chocolate :)
any kind of melted chocolate
eat it plain!

Gonna try French Toast with it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

As I was getting ready to eat this late-night-delight, I came across what Jenna recommends serving this with: Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate.

Whaaaaa???
I know right?? Why haven't I thought of this before??

It's reeeeaaally simple to make. Takes less than 10 minutes.

This recipe is for one PB Hot Chocolate
adapted from Jenna & her Eat, Live, Run blog

Ingredients:
1 cup milk (or just the amount of milk you need to fill your mug)
1 Tbsp peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
2 Tbsp of cocoa mix, already sweetened (if you don't have this, do 1 Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder & 1 Tbsp of sugar)1 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped Cream, Salted Peanuts, &/or Cinnamon for garnish (optional)

How To:
1. Fill your mug with the desired amount of milk. Pour the milk into a small pot on the stove on medium heat, then add and whisk or stir together the cocoa mix and vanilla. (I don't own a whisk, really need to get one.)

2. Bring to a simmer, add the peanut butter, then stir well to get rid of any clumps. 

3. Pour into the mug and serve with a garnish of whipped cream, salted peanuts, &/or cinnamon!


Check out my sweet apron:
 Got it as a gift from my cousin when I visited WA recently. 
Yay Pike Place Market! 

Make sure to check out Rhiannon's Blog (she just made a Key Lime Pie. Her bread post will be up soon!) --- Update: Rhiannon's Chocolate Orange Bread
& Cassie's Dark Chocolate Almond Bread

1 comment:

  1. Both of these recipes sound so good! I can't wait to try my hand at the peanut butter bread.

    ReplyDelete